My name is Jennifer Campbell-Smith and I want to attend my university's Rainforest Ecology trip to Costa Rica, March 2013. This trip involves doing research projects and learning about the rainforest as we move between different biological stations across the country. The course is taught at the university where I am working on the tail end of my Ph.D. in animal behavior. I've been unable to attend this trip in the past 5 years due to funds. Since it's my last year at this university, as I plan to graduate in 2013, this is my last chance for a trip of a lifetime! I'm determined to go! However, because I'm in the unfunded phase of my degree, funds are even tighter than before. This is where you come in!
Now, I don't plan on just asking for your money; I plan on providing incentives. Turns out I'm not just a scientist, I'm an illustrator as well. You can see my artwork here. I am illustrating a Coppery-Headed Emerald Hummingbird (Elvira cupreiceps), a spectacular bird found only in Costa Rica! I am doing so in real media (I will update this page with the illustration as soon as it is complete) and the incentives go as follows:
- Donate less than $20 and you get my utmost gratitude.
- Donate $20 or more you will get my utmost gratitude and a small magnet of the illustration.
- Donate $50 or more you will get my utmost gratitude, a signed print, and a small magnet of the illustration
- Donate $100 or more and you will get my utmost gratitude, a matted, signed print, a small magnet, and a bookmark of the illustration.
- Donate the largest amount (over $100) and you get my utmost gratitude and the original illustration! (Along with a magnet and bookmark.)
The goal is $1800 which includes my airfare and lodging, and a little extra for food and supplies. The trip is 10 days, so that's $180 a day. Not too shabby!
I can't emphasize enough how deeply this trip means to someone like me. I've dedicated my life to learning about, teaching, and studying animals and the environment. Getting a chance to go on such a valuable field trip to among the most biologically diverse countries and ecosystems on the planet means the world to me.
Please, if you donate, include your name and address. I would like the opportunity to thank you personally, even if a dollar is all you can spare, and I will need your addresses to send your incentives.